Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Sound Track of My Life

Whenever I hear Johnny Mathis on the radio, I am transported back to the time my husband and I were dating. His tunes were all the rage in the 50's;Chances Are, 12th Of Never, It's not for Me To Say. I can remember slow dancing with my husband/boyfriend to those romantic tunes like it was yesterday. That was the score which we began our life together with. Being with him was all I ever knew as an adult so when at 40 years of age we were no longer together I needed a new anthem...and I found one...I Will Survive!
When I got up in the morning before I left for work from my studio apartment, I played my chant- it got me going. That was my mantra in more ways than one.
My next relationship was totally different ,and the number #1 song on my hit parade then was So Happy Together by the Turtles. We loved traveling camping and exploring nature together. It was a very exciting time for me...until it wasn't. Then my theme song became Amazing Grace ,who saved a wretch like me. That break-up hit me hard but there was no other recourse.
Teaching was my life now and how I loved it. Being with young adults carving out new lives for themselves was inspiring. So my pick for the teaching years was Forever Young because teaching kept the spark of life alive in me.
When I retired from teaching, I followed a new pursuit...my passion was for the metaphysical. I studied at Edgar Cayce ARE in Va. Bch. to expand my psychic abilities. My song became I Can See Clearly Now, I had quite a run with that tune and currently I still am.
Now I've come to a place of acceptance in my life of what is and am no longer wishing it was different. As one of the great sages once said 'All suffering is caused by attachment'. In the words of Patti LaBelle,'It took a long time to find this place,it took a long time to be happy".
My life has come full circle as I am going to see Johnny Mathis who will be appearing at the Tampa Performing Arts soon with a young friend. It will be sweet to hear those tunes once again in his mellow voice.  Everything's fine.
Next: I'm looking forward to singing At Last , my love has come along. More will be revealed...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment